Thursday, March 22, 2007

March Madness: Frontrunners and Upsets






















• I have been recently overwhelmed with new music that I really like, which is an invigorating feeling. I have, therefore, decided to issue the CFY,K Official Early Picks for The Best Song of 2007. They are as follows:

Rehab, by Amy Winehouse, which is exactly the song that should have come out this year. Me and Thee Famousperson were talking last year about how this sort of thing couldn't have been far off, since the best box set evar came out. (That's right, Nuggets. I said it.) Winehouse and producer Mark Ronson get shit absolutely right, ending up with pitch-perfect pop awesomeness.

Imagine, by Lil Wayne, is a mixtape cut, during which the incredibly-prolific Weezy F. Baby raps over the same beat from Nas' If I Ruled the World. This track earns its spot based on this one moment where, if this was the "original," Lauryn Hill would come in on the chorus, but it's not the original, and we're left with Wayne simply stating, voice drenched in nihilism, "Get high, screw the world." And it's the best rap line I've heard since "I need vegetables \ Is weed vegetables?"

New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down, by LCD Soundsystem. This song's placement on this list may owe significantly to the idea that I have lately been obsessed with songs that are excellent night-enders. This song is an excellent anything-ender.

What do you guys think? Certainly, according to you, I have left something out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Panda Bear. Person Pitch. 'nuff said.

The Red Fantastic said...

Weed is definitely vegetables.