Friday, August 10, 2007

It's Too Hot To Think Straight

















• I always forget that magazines are sold by the celebrities on their covers. I'm weirdly loyal to several publications, based on various reasons, so I generally don't care who's on the cover at all. But then the other day I bought a Paste Magazine - which I typically hate because it reminds me of an old dude at a rock show with like a meticulously maintained haircut - solely because the White Stripes were on the cover. I've talked about this before, like how White Stripes interviews are so off-putting because of how normal Jack White seems. But also, you spend the whole interview waiting on Meg White to drop some essential truth like she's Silent Bob or some shit. And sometimes she does. But she usually keeps quiet, which makes for great tension.

• Lately all I've been doing is drawing pictures and thinking about drawing pictures. So I think that the rest of this post is going to be about comics and illustration and drawing and crap.

• Are you guys reading the weekly Yikes that Fantagraphics puts up? You ought to be. Weissman rules.

This is the best three seconds you'll have all day.

• My favorite Hernandez bro, Gilbert - Thee Famous Person's favorite is Jaime, who also rules, but I only mention it because FP's mad that she doesn't get mentioned more often on this blog - has a new comic out on Dark Horse that I'd like to read. But I can't because the comic book store in my town closed. Dark Horse is also involved with this web comic called "Sugarshock," but I'm not linking to it on GP, but it's worth reading, so you should find it and do so.

Paul Pope has a new book out. (Someone out to be it for me since I'm about to officially be old as all hell, ha ha.) Paul Pope is my hero. You can tell he uses a brush in a lot of his work, and I wonder how he does that. I am scared of the brush.

2 comments:

theefamousperson said...

(Thanks for the shout-out, yo.)

But, did you see how, on the Fanta website, Gilbert has a whole new BOOK out called Chance In Hell? Looks pretty gre-e-e-at...

theefamousperson said...

Ah, yes, and one more thing: I was excited to see them use that Ice Cream Truck print to represent Weissman's work. (You Have That!!!1!!! omg)