Thursday, August 02, 2007

The American Classic






















• I remember during high school, I think I ate a Twix and drank a Dr. Pepper - I know what you're thinking. Shut up. - every single day, and I thought it was the single greatest soft drink / candy bar combination ever conceived by man. But then the other day I hit upon some new shit, which is actually some old shit, but has, regardless, supplanted the old situation. "The American Classic," the best snack ever (I used to have a roommate that would laugh hysterically every time anybody said "snack" or "snacks"), consists of one eight ounce Coca-Cola in the glass bottle and one regular milk chocolate Hershey Bar. But then, to top it all off, you chase it with one Marlboro cigarette, because otherwise you feel like you're a little kid in the 1950's and you want to dress up like a cowboy and sit only inches in front of a black and white television.

• I figured I should put up something for you to listen to while you wait, with baited breath, for the new Border Disaster episode, which should really be happening any day now. It's this Rolling Stones demo / outtake thing where they play a Rice Krispies jingle or something, and invent punk rock in the process.



• Also, you guys need a new NSFW blog to read?

• So I was talking to S. Higginbotham the other day, while she was en route to her new home. I told her this story about how I saw this thing happen a little while ago that was so, like, obviously and directly symbolic that I could never really use that experience for the basis of, say, a piece of fiction, because it would come across as forced and dumb. Luckily, "forced and dumb" is pretty much the order of the day here in the blogosphere, so. Anyway.
You might haver heard of this tragedy the of involving the deaths of nine firefighters. It was pretty horrible. In the aftermath of this, somebody started putting up these billboards around town that said "Not Forgotten," and I thought they did a really decent job on them. I was, no kidding, touched and impressed when I first saw one.
About a a month after, I was sitting in the driv-thru at Wendy's, and the person in front of me was taking forever, and the whole time I was watching a guy cover up the "Not Forgotten" billboard with a real estate advertisement. I guess it was only ever a matter of time, but watching it happen was kind of a powerful thing. It was like the kind of sentimentality that Norman Rockwell leaves out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, i just laughed so hard at your "snacks" episode. mouth wide, with a higher pitched laughter than just the typical amusement.