Saturday, October 13, 2007






















• The above artwork comes from a Love & Rockets collection by Jaime Hernandez called The Girl From H.O.P.P.E.R.S. I highly recommend it. (You should really probably buy it from Fantagraphics, just to keep it real, but I could only find a direct Amazon link.)

• So now that new Hova joint "Blue Magic" has its own video, in addition to the aforementioned trailer. Hype Williams directed the new one, and it looks gorgeous. (Hype Williams should offer to do his best work for Jay-Z for free, in an unceasing effort to make up for "Sunshine.") See also: "Roc Boys," which is also classic Jay. (I am getting my hopes up for American Gangster. I can't help it.)

• You know who I like? Graphic designer Charley Harper (RIP). I think old FP has a poster of his somewhere in her house. And Habitiat Skateboards pretty much unabashedly got their whole stee from him.

• If you were thinking of making the best music video of all time, you'd probably want to combine the following ingredients: a freestyle intro from Big Daddy Kane with human beatbox provided by Biz Markie, sing-along shots of authentic eighties-style hip street kids on a basketball court, where Spud Webb (!) is playing some ball. Then you'd think, "fuck it, go nuts" and throw in a John Madden cameo in there for giggles and grins. What if I told you that that video already exists, for Paul Simon's perfect pop song "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard." You'd have to like that, because you love that song, and it would save you a ton of impossible work.

3 comments:

Lottie said...

That video is the best thing i have ever seen.

Stokely said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mickey Mantle is taking a few swats at the ball in that video.

theefamousperson said...

I love Charley Harper so much. I have the one you listed, and also The Desert. So great.