Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bird Turds #24

































• Bird Turds #24 was made after watching the Spielberg / Cruise War of the Worlds, and wishing that something like this would happen in it. I remember sitting around with Thee Famous Person and a friend of hers years ago watching King of New York, and the friend being like, 'Wouldn't it be great if Christopher Walken just stopped right here and walked over and introduced the cameraman?' And it totally would've! That's how they ought to make movies.

• It's been slow-going here at CFY,K. I could blame this on any number of things, but, truthfully, my whole life has been put on hold since my man Holotone put me on to the N game.


• Aside from N, though, I don't usually play video games that much. (That said, this is probably already the most video game-heavy post I've ever made, and we've got a ways to go.) I do not own a gaming console. (I mean. I probably would. But I can't, at this juncture, even imagine what it would be like to be able to afford one.) The thing I've always thought about them is that an overwhelming number of them are set up like a fun house is at a carnival. You go here. Then this thing happens. Then you deal with that thing. Repeat.

It seems like, for the billion dollar industry that gaming has become, precious few designers are willing to, like, actively try and elevate the video game to anything that resembles, like, a work of art with an interactive narrative structure. One of those precious few is this dude Suda51. He's the guy who made Killer7, which was the weirdest, scariest, most enigmatic and engrossing video game I think I've ever seen.

Suda51 has a new game out now called No More Heroes, for the Wii. I just read a review for it on this website Noise to Signal, a website which also indulges in a great deal of Venture Bros wankery, which is how I found it. Now. I may never play No More Heroes. Because, again, I don't own a Wii. And the Noise to Signal guy kind of totally pans it. But I think it has the potential to be one of those moments where a weirdo-outsider does that thing where they kind of bring a genre to new heights through parody and pastiche. But, then again, it might be one of those moments where a weirdo-outsider has a really good idea and then isn't given the resources to properly execute it due to his weirdo-outsider status. (See also: Lost in La Mancha.)

I would like to reiterate my B-rett request: record yourself playing this shit and send me the tapes. (I can't afford a Wii, but I for sure own a VCR.)

• More video game crap:



This is one of the videos that comes up when you do a search for "asshole Mario" on YouTube. I think what I like so much about it is is not only the idea that whoever made this thing is also, in their own way, elevating a genre through parody and pastiche using an existing and well-known vocabulary, but also that, like. Even though you never see who's playing the thing, you can get a real sense of his or her frustration just by watching Mario. "Asshole Mario" is probably old news, but whatever. It's brilliant.

• And finally, from the Fucking Finally department: the internet delivers, at long last, the deleted scene from Iron Man featuring Ghostface.


1 comment:

awkwardly said...

i ♥ The Bird