Monday, December 24, 2007


















• I'd like to start out with two, like, editorial notes. First of all, even though it is Christmas Eve and I seem to be posting to this blog with increasing irregularity, I'm not necessarily implying that this will in fact be the last post of 2007. (Like you care.) Secondly, I kind of can't stand year-end lists. But fucking everybody seems to make one, or at least every magazine. And I think I'd like to work for one of them one day. So. I figure I might as well just start producing year-ending list-type text.

• While I consider The Darjeeling Limited to be, on the strength of its visuals alone, the Best Movie of the Year, and while I thought at the time that watching that last Pirates movie on super-packed opening night with my former neighbor while she drank sneaked-in beers and seriously talked through the whole thing was unusually awkward, it was, in retrospect, the best experience I had watching a movie in 2007. (That last sentence, though, might qualify for Longest Sentence I Wrote This Year.)

Best Blog Based Entirely On Another Blog of 2007: Wear Palettes, which takes the photos from The Sartorialist and reduces them to color palettes. In order to, I don't know, better track, like, color trends. Or something.

• As far as the Best Album of the Year is concerned, I think it's only fair to call it what it is: the Best Record I Heard All Year. Because there were a lot of records I just didn't listen to this year - even ones that it seems like I would have listened to. I think that this is the case because (a) there's no place to buy new CD's anymore, (b) the Good Shit Catalog died, and (c) the last time I was hip was in October of 2002.
So. All that said, for me it comes down to Da Drought 3 and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. I'm not just trying to exercise some, like, one-rap-record-one-rock-record white guy blogger diplomacy here. Or maybe, on some level, I am. But I think I'm just really into extremely hardworking musicians who manage to sound completely effortless and cool all the time.
UPDATE: You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that Rock Band might be the Album of the Year.

• Fuck this. End-of-year lists are exhausting. And they only ever talk about general crap. Like the Best Book. I don't even remember reading any books this year. But I'm sure I must have. I'm just saying: I've never read a magazine where some guy lists, like, his Proudest Personal Achievement.

Proudest Personal Acehievement of 2007: (fucking finally) graduating from college.

Hardest-Won Photograph I Took This Year:

















this one.


• I feel that the Year's Biggest Disappointment For Me, Personally was and continues to be the Raichile's unceasing negligence of what really ought to be the greatest blog ever.

• I just looked at the clock. It is now 4:31 in the a.m. I guess I could keep typing until January, but at some point enough's enough.

No comments: