Friday, January 26, 2007

I Think I Came This Way Before

















• I think the thing that bothers me the most about "emo," as a subculture, is that you can't even bitch about it. You certainly can't blog about it without becoming part of the problem.

On the one hand, you know, it seems like "emo" has held on long enough. Collectively, they've endured enough ridicule over the past five or six years that now we, the People of Earth, are supposed to accept these backwards-hairs as legitimate and viable, and incorporate minute aspects of their thing into our thing. At the least, they've become an old saw. Stale subject matter. Much in the same way that criticizing the president has become, as of late, a little passé.

And then again, on the other hand, when you go out of your way to deride "emo," you put yourself in the same position as, say, Hova did we he formally addressed his Dipset beef: you kind of lose just for involving yourself at all. To extend this line of thought, though, I have to say I think I feel like Jay must have felt. On some "fuck that, I'm hatin'!"

• So. Anyway. 30 Seconds to Mars. What the hell is the deal with 30 Seconds to Mars? I have been aware of their existence for some time now, you know. But I never paid them no nevermind. I just added them to the already exhaustive list of Things That Emo Has Ruined. (That One Guy From Fight Club Who Used To Be On TV is now listed officially at number one hundred and thirty-eight, well below such entires as "tattoos" and "Rolling Stone magazine."(Because he kind of always sucked anyway.))

Then last night their video came on. The shit is epic as hell. Not necessarily good-epic, but epic all the same. I would bet that this little five minute clip had at least twice the budget of Prefontaine.

Great, I'm thinking, "emo" finally has its Thriller.

• Speaking of "emo," though. Higginbotham maintains that if you're lonely at your computer and you feel like you need a hug but there's no one around, then Cute Overload will hold it down for you. I'm inclined to agree. (Happy birthday, Higginblatt.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel just like I did the first time a six year old tried to explain yu-gi-oh to me. So, let me get this straight: Jared Leto (the actor) is now Jared Leto (the professional self obsessed pussy) and he has a band with a website where the only pictures are of a bunch of teenagers painted with fake blood?!? Jeez, when they were working up the concept for that nonsense I bet they all agreed "We should do whatever makes us look the most egomaniacal... and If it can emphasise our white-ass-ness, that'd be awesome."

The Red Fantastic said...

I also worship cute overload and my birthday was also January 26th. I feel ripped off! UGH!

:)

Jared Leto is a pansy. I met him once. He is a small, sickly man. His music sucks. The end.